Thursday, January 21, 2010

Becoming The Great Teacher You Already Are



Eight Lessons: Becoming the Great Teacher You Already Are

This has been a very challenging first year of teaching for me. Everyday is like riding the Millennium Force at Cedar Point. A mixture of fear and excitement. Some days you have that sick feeling in your stomach like you're slowing ascending a mountain of steel as you hear the rickety clanking chain hoist you to 310 feet. But you always reach the top safely. Once you're at the top, you have the temptation to just relax and enjoy the view. But you can't. Because you made a promise that you would keep your hands in the air for the entirety of the ride. These are the days when you're just worn out. You just don't want to think. You're creative energy is zapped. And your students would rather be anywhere else on earth. These are the days when I remember what George Brushaber said at graduation about not taking short cuts and the easy way out; to do what's hard. I've definitely had my days when I've been on cruise control. It's so easy and tempting, especially in a setting where going into cruise control is acceptable. And then you reach the top and look down. I feel like these are the days when I take chances and do something completely new and have no idea if they will work or fail miserably. It can be a very humbling experience! However, in stark contrast, it can also be a moment of great pride and joy. The good kind of pride that C.S. Lewis talks about in Mere Christianity. The kind where I delight in my students learning and success. Another reason I feel like my first year of teaching is like a roller coaster is because it goes by so fast! I just don't know where the time goes. I never have the feeling of "I can't wait till the weekend!" because I get so consumed during the week that when I look up it's Friday. I have experienced many ups and downs this first year. My boss has more than once thrown me for a loop. And when I say loop, I mean, the craziest loops you've ever seen. But it has also been a year of incredible fulfillment in my decision to become an educator. For instance, I just wrote my first college recommendation letter for one of my seniors. It's in those moments that make you just sit there and think. As I was reading this article that I've entitled my post today, I really wanted to make some mental notes. Therefore, I decided to blog it as a reminder and intentionally reflect on my teaching practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment