Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Good Day!

So today I'm correcting my AP Students guided reading questions and the secretary of my school comes in and informs me that the mothers from my OBAMa A class (beginners) have come to visit me. So I clamber out from my pile of papers and stand waiting for Andrew to translate their questions. The main concern they had was that they think I'm not giving enough homework. I'm increasingly finding it challenging to give homework to absolute beginners. I mean, these boys didn't know a word of English a month ago. The mothers wanted their boys to develop faster, naturally. It's funny how parents think learning language is a quick, easy, and painless process. After one month of exposure to a language (4 three hour sessions), they want their boys to be reading juvenile literature. Anyhow, I'm not offended by their concern. In fact, I'm flattered because they think I'm that good of a teacher. They expressed that before, their boys had no desire to learn English. They thought learning English was hard and very boring. But now, in my class, their boys come home saying how much they enjoy learning English. In addition, that they can understand what we are reading. So, the moms were really happy with me and my school. I thought I would comment on my happy day, and also mention that TPRS truly works wonders in the classroom! Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment